What Is A Course In Miracles?
What is A Course In Miracles (ACIM)?
ACIM is a self-study system of spiritual psychology contained in a three-volume book:
- The Text (T)
- The Workbook(W)
- The Manual For Teachers(M)).
The Course contains a synthesis of the teachings that lie at the core of the world’s great religions, together with sophisticated psychological insight.
It emphasises the practical application of its principles, which focus on forgiveness and, thus, the transformational potential of the mind. It has touched the lives of millions of people around the world.
What A Course In Miracles says:
There is no separation between God and ourselves, or, therefore, between us.
God is love, eternal and infinite, and all there is.
We are God’s one creation.
God only creates like Himself, so we remain as God created us, innocent and whole.
Only what God created is real. God did not create pain, death, guilt or fear, so although they exist in our experience, they are not real.
The Course aims at removing the blocks to the awareness of love’s presence.
Rather than trying to change external circumstances, the Course teaches us to change our perceptions about the world.
The peace of God is reached through the practice of forgiveness.
The above paragraphs are taken with permission from Miracle Worker magazine, published by the Miracle Network, a UK-registered charity supporting students of ACIM in the UK. It has a very slight addition.
The book - A Course In Miracles - can be bought in the shop on the Miracle Worker site, along with many superb books by teachers of the Course. When you buy a book there, you are supporting the not-for-profit work of the Miracle Network.
Additional thoughts on What is A Course In Miracles?
“This course can... be summed up very simply in this way:
Nothing real can be threatened
Nothing unreal exists
Herein lies the peace of God”
(The Introduction, A Course In Miracles)
- The Course is not a religion. It is designed as a system of self-study.
- The Course uses a great deal of Christian language, often redefining it.
- ACIM recognises all paths to God and can be practised alongside many different religious beliefs. Many of its teachers are from the Jewish tradition.
- ACIM is helpful to many who are disillusioned in their religion of origin, but retain the knowledge of God. In my case, the Course has led me back to Christianity. I would guess this is unusual, although I do know of some Reverends who are students of the Course.
- ACIM is universalist - respecting the major religions, but also critiquing the way in which religion can be used. It does not claim or aim to be the path to God for everyone.
- People who read and apply the Course to their lives are called Course students. When you become a student, you also become a teacher.
- ACIM very much gives the message that we are already perfect and that it is only our belief that we (and others) are otherwise, that we need to change. It says we cannot fail to remember that we are aspects of God.
The spiritual poem on I Am Beautiful conveys much of what I see as the key message of ACIM.
“The course does not aim at teaching the meaning of love, for that is beyond what can be taught.
It does aim, however, at removing the blocks to the awareness of love’s presence, which is your natural inheritance.”
(The Introduction, ACIM)
To buy ACIM in the USA or other books inspired by the Course, please go to my USA ACIM Bookstore.
To buy ACIM from Amazon UK, please click on the book cover on the right.
For more books I have enjoyed on ACIM, please go to my UK ACIM Bookstore.
Any time you buy an Amazon book through this site, I receive a commission (you pay the same price), and this supports me in running the site. So many thanks.
| ||Explanation Of Initial Used
|T- ||The textbook of A Course in Miracles|
|W- ||The workbook of A Course in Miracles|
|M- ||The manual for teachers of ACIM|
|C- ||Clarification of Terms|
|P- ||PSYCHOTHERAPY Purpose, Process and Practice |
|S- ||SONG OF PRAYER Prayer, Forgiveness, Healing|
Non-italics in one of the italicised A Course In Miracles
quotes indicates text that is italicised in the original.
To know more on the subject of What is A Course In Miracles? you may be interested in the following pages:
Resistance To The Change Of Letting God In – quotes from ACIM
The Atheist Religion (Do we all just believe we are a body?)– quotes from ACIM
Definition of Forgiveness – quotes from ACIM
Return from What is A Course In Miracles? to the Home Page – How To Deepen Our Spirituality
To Buy ACIM
If you are in the USA, you can buy A Course In Miracles or other books inspired by the Course from my USA ACIM Bookstore.
To buy ACIM from the UK, please click on the book cover below or go to my UK ACIM Bookstore.
Any time you buy an Amazon book through this site, I receive a commission (you pay the same price). This supports me in running the site. Many thanks for your blessing.